Monday, January 27, 2014

Man Quilters!!!

So, there is something going on in quilting right now...it is not a completely new phenomenon, we have all heard of Ricky Tims -  http://www.rickytims.com/, and Jamie Wallen -  http://www.jamiewallen.com/jamiewallen/Welcome.html etc., but it seems to be going more mainstream!!!!  I discovered it this summer, right after I opened the new studio for Liz B. Quilting, when a man came in and asked me to quilt for him.  He was with his wife and just like a used car sales man, I kept trying to talk to her, so she let me know in no uncertain terms that it was HIS quilt and to talk to HIM!  Cool!  Especially when you see how his quilt looked...


I know right?!!!  It was his first quilt and not only is it crazy hard, but it is a signature quilt as well for one of his nieces...What???

At the Grand Opening of Liz B. Quilting new studio a man came in and said he was a quilter...I said great.  It was/is amazing because he is also a Vietnam Vet...he used to be a mason and now quilts to stay young in the mind!  He has since brought me probably 10 quilts, they are all huge and he donates them all to Wounded Warriors.  They are all his own designs (not that they are not already done, but he doesn't use a pattern, just figures it out).  Here are some of his latest creations...



Next thing you know a guy (who also came to the Grand Opening) comes in and wants to take the beginning quilting class...he takes and does such an AWESOME job!  He started to make a quilt for his Mother-in-Law's church...should have taken a picture of that when he was coming in for open sew.  Here is his beginning quilting class top...


Next thing you know another man shows up for my Spring Bed Runner Class with his wife...he finishes his whole bed runner in one after noon!  He then proceeded to go home and piece a crazy hard chain pattern that I can't seem to get off my phone.  He used strip piecing and chain piecing methods all by himself  What???


And then this morning...this one shows up!  This one was made by a retired Marine who has a mini museum in his basement and is going to put this on the bed down there...then, he is going to make his new grand-baby girl a pink one like this...What???  He designed it himself and even is letting me borrow the pattern (that he designed on Power Point) for my hubby's retirement quilt...(don't read this honey : D). 


As if that isn't impressive enough...he mitered his corners!!!


This is so exciting!  I am loving these Man Quilters!!!

3 comments:

Kitchener Quilter said...

Yay for man quilters. There are a few around here, too. I'm trying to convert a man at work who already sews into a quilter!

Annie Gam said...

The Marine who miters his corners is my baby brother who comes from a long line of tailors/sewers. Even our Dad took to the sewing machine, and it was quite impressive. When my brother showed me his first design, I was in awe, and even more so when he finished it! Now, the second design for his new granddaughter is just as beautiful. I was a bit apprehensive because of the intricate work and details necessary, but I should have known that he would knock it out perfectly--that is just how he is! In this macho world, it is wonderful to see men take this craft, that has always been done by women, to a new level and onto a new playing field. It is good for physical dexterity, mental creativity, and what an accomplishment. I am proud!

LizB said...

Annie Gam, thanks so much for responding...I should have known it was in his blood. He did knock it out perfectly and can't wait to see what he comes up with next!!

Kitchener Quilter...good luck with that :D